Paid Airbnb Connect Software Engineering Apprenticeship
DESCRIPTION: Connect is a paid 6-month apprenticeship program at Airbnb that provides a pathway to entry-level software engineering roles for individuals with nontraditional technical backgrounds.
In the beginning you’ll learn from Airbnb’s Technical Engineering Instructor about the ins and outs of coding at Airbnb in a workshop environment. You’ll start to do some practical work before you eventually start coding with teams.
At the end of the apprenticeship, there’s potential to convert to a permanent, entry-level software engineering role making a real impact on Airbnb’s product.
Airbnb uses technology to create human connection all around the world. Their engineering teams see big challenges as opportunities to craft beautiful and scalable solutions that inspire technical innovation both in the company and across the tech and travel industries as a whole.
DURATION: 6 months starting in May 2021. Full time, paid with benefits
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote during COVID, and on-site as restrictions ease)
- Be currently based in the San Francisco Bay Area (do not need to relocate)
- Ages 18+
- You do not have a 4-year Computer Science degree
- You learned to code through online courses, community college classes, or a coding bootcamp
- You have no prior (or less than one year of) professional software engineering experience
- You should already have enough coding skills to:
- Write basic functions and implement control flow in a programming language of your choice (e.g., if statements, for/while loops)
- Understand the basics of at least one framework (e.g., React, Rails, Express)
- Convert a problem to code and explain your approach
- You should be excited about and aligned with key Airbnb themes: embracing adventure, being caring & open, being a serial entrepreneur
- You should demonstrate a growth mindset, self motivation, strong communication, and willingness to ask for help / accept feedback
Applications will be open from March 8, 2021 to March 22, 2021.
- You will need to upload your resume, answer three personal essay questions, and share a coding sample.
- Those who advance will be invited to interview. You will be evaluated on your ability to effectively talk about technical concepts, complete an onsite coding challenge in the programming language of your choice. More information about interview requirements will be provided by Airbnb at this stage.
- Onsite interview days are tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, April 7th and Friday, April 9th 2021.
- Successful applicants from the onsite will be selected to join the apprenticeship program which starts in May 2021.
Get referred through Kapor Center’s Pathways to Tech Initiative: To empower us to vouch for you, please follow the instructions below ONLY IF you are (1) a current San Francisco Bay Area resident, and (2) from an underrepresented racial group in tech: those from African-American/black, Latinx, American Indian/Native American, Pacific Islander, Southeast and Central Asian backgrounds or mixed race with a parent from one of the above groups.
- Optional: Apply to join our free application prep workshop Saturday, March 20th in partnership with BitWise training (more info here, space is limited). Topics covered include selecting sample code, preparing short essays, preparing for the cross functional and technical interviews.
- Complete the Airbnb application by Monday, March 22nd
- List “Kapor Center Pathways to Tech” under “Are you affiliated with one of our partners?” in the Airbnb application
- Let us know you’ve submitted your application by filling out this form
***For individuals currently based in the San Francisco Bay Area but not from an underrepresented racial group in tech, please apply directly through Airbnb’s website without referencing affiliation with our program.
Check out Airbnb’s Medium series on the Connect Apprenticeship:
- Inside Connect: Airbnb’s Engineering Apprenticeship Program
- Inside Connect: An Apprentice Perspective